View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 01:50 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hey wakegirl and Desi,

After my 1995 spine and back injuries (that also led to my RSD), it was obvious from the start that the 8 to 10 propoxyphene I had been taking for a previous spine injury wasn't going to be strong enough. I talked with my pharmacist about which pain drugs offered the biggest bang for the buck, and she told me that mg for mg, hydrocodone is about 7 times stronger than morphine; that 7.5mg of hydrocodone was about equivalent to 50mg of morphine.

I believed she was telling me the truth, and it didn't hurt that my pcp had already written a scrip for it, so hydro made sense to me. Since then, I have reached the point where hydro isn't enough: The mfg warns not to take more than 50mg a day, and I needed more than that. My neurosurgeon switched me to 40mg of oxycodone and 30mg of hydro daily.

I find that 5mg of oxy gives better relief than 15mg of hydro, and is enough to keep my pain pretty quiet, as long as I don't do anything at all. I learned to stop doing things after I figured out that all of my attempts to fight the pain and keep walking only made me weaker and in more pain. My formal surrender came when I began using a power wheelchair to get to the bathroom; I was falling so often I was risking an even more serious injury.

Anyway, these drugs control my spine/back pain, but don't seem to have much effect on the RSD pain (which we know doesn't respond well to opiates), so the quantity I take is too low to help with your awful pain: But if my pharmacist was right in saying that hydro is 7X stronger than morphine, and if my experience with oxy gave even greater relief, I suggest thinking about one of these two,

Work comp pays for it, but my monthly scrip for 240 oxycodone only costs $45.00, and that sounds like more bang for the buck than morphine (which has been around so long it should be dirt cheap). I hope you will give this some thought...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote