View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Passing of "Hey Taxi"

Some of you will remember Hey Taxi, aka Fred Klein, from Brain Talk days. I was just thinking about him today and sent him an email to see how he was doing. But I had a funny feeling since I had not heard from him in a very long time. After a bit of searching on the Internet, I learned that Fred passed away July 28, 2007.

Fred was a radio announcer for more than 20 years, a car salesman, and then a taxi driver. He had a great sense of humor despite his advanced PD and living alone in a trailer with his cat Corky. May he rest in peace.

=============
I found Fred's obituary posted on line at this url http://www.cflradio.net/what's_news.htm along with some links to a brief biography, photos, and more about Fred and his career as a radio personality.

=============
Fred Klein's Obituary From Lancaster Online 7-31-07
Frederic Ferree Klein, 71, died Saturday, July 28, at the Lancaster General Hospital after a long battle with Parkinson's disease. Fred was born on February 4, 1936 in Lancaster. He was preceded in death by his parents, Professor Frederic Shriver Klein and Florence Haenle Klein of Lancaster. Klein graduated from Manheim Township High School, and attended Mercersburg Academy. He also studied at Franklin and Marshall College. He was a veteran of the US Air Force during the Korean War. In the early 60s he obtained his first job at WGAL radio on an afternoon jazz show. He made a switch to rock n roll at WLAN radio in 1963. He continued to work along the East Coast as a dj/radio announcer including stints in Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, Florida. In 1987, he returned to Lancaster and was employed by Friendly Transportation. Fred's interest was always music, especially jazz, big bands, and later, rock n roll. He also was especially fond of animals, and he made many contributions to the Lancaster County Humane League. He was a life-long member of his family's Shriver Homestead, an historic Civil War museum in Union Mills, Maryland. He is survived by his sister, Joan Klein Weidman of Millersville, and three children, Joseph Shriver Klein, John Wayne Klein, and Julie Anne Klein. He has six grandchildren and three great grandchildren. A private interment will be held at the convenience of the family. Memorial contributions in Fred's name may be sent to Union Mills Homestead, 3311 Littlestown Pike, Westminster, MD 21158, or the Parkinson's Disease Association, 1250 Hyland Blvd., Suite 4B, Staten Island, NY 10305.
Judith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote