View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I thought I'd said everything I needed to say in my last post, and I'm pretty sure at least four members of this forum (and possibly the Administration) will wish I had left it at that. Sorry, I'm back.

The PD forum has the highest number of posts at NT, but the entire first page of this thread was written by two people; people who apparently believe they don't need no stinkin' rules. Most of the posts just referred to were themselves violations of the rules here: Public airing of disagreements with the administration.

They were complaining because one of them had violated another rule and felt mistreated when DocJohn did what the rules said he would do; delete the offending post.

Later, after DocJohn had tried to reason with the first two, a 3rd member dropped in to teach John how one should properly run a forum. I thought those posts were self-righteous and condescending; I don't worship DocJohn for creating or facilitating NT, but I'm grateful that he did, and I don't think he should be talked to like a miscreant because someone doesn't like the way he does things.

The rules in my house are that you don't disrespect a man in his own home. That's always been the rule, and I'm sure my kids weren't too happy with it more than once; especially when I ordered my oldest son to leave my home. But my kids still treat me with respect in my home -- and they treat me with respect the rest of the time too.

I didn't kick my son out forever, I told him to leave until he could get his mouth under control. I wonder if that might be effective here? I'm thinking that a couple months without NT might give some people a reason to want to play by the rules.

The real reason for a 2nd post, however, is the reappearance of the two who dominated the first page on this thread. I had hoped that the response from others outside the PD forum might have chastened them, but apparently not: they are back and almost performing victory dances. They apparently feel they somehow won something, but I fear it will be a pyric victory; emboldening them to further excesses and possible banning.

There has been a lot of talk about JL and BT here, and mutterings about his apparently near-maniacal banning of good people just before the crash, and I suppose that might be what happened. I know I was a thorn in his side for a very long time, and the only time he threatened to ban me was fully justified.

I didn't agree with his policy of banning people for public protests, but I was aware of it and unwilling to die on that particular mountain. I don't like the way some things are done here either, but that's just not my mountain. I fear that DocJohn's temperance has led these people to think they can climb the mountain and live forever. I don't think that's the way it will turn out.

In case you didn't get the message: Go back and reread the posts and count the "thanks" thingies. People who would never invade another fourm to address misbehaviour came here and did just that. We said we stand with DocJohn and the mods. You can't celebrate and begin this crap again. If you do, you won't find much sympathy when the hammer drops.

Having said all that, I now offer a self-righteous lecture to DocJohn: Ya shoulda just said "rules are rules"...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :