View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 05:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the links. I should send them to my father and aunt, both of whom are diabetic and are under the illusion that they'll be just fine as long as their glucose levels are below 200. I tried talking to my dad about it this summer, but he sees no reason to alter his diet, choosing instead to believe that insulin will make it all better for him.

I was diagnosed with type 2 with a glucose tolerance reading of 188, which is considered "pre-diabetic". But because I have gastroparesis, my glucose levels, once elevated, stay high all day long due to food not traveling through my body properly, so there were times pre-diagnosis that I was probably over 200. Now I am extremely careful to keep my glucose levels under 140 at all times.

I figure that if can manage celiac disease, gastroparesis and type 2 diabetes simultaneously, most type 2 diabetics can achieve healthy glucose levels if they are willing to really work hard at it. I've seen enough of the really dire consequences of diabetes (including amputations) in relatives and former co-workers to be plenty motivated to stay as healthy as possible.

Good to know that I may be sparing myself future neuropathy damage as well.

fanfaire