View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The good vs. "not so good"

I think that Carey summed it up so well, i.e., Mirapex is an effective PD medication that needs to be taken with extreme caution. I am able to confirm this through experience. After my pwp's initial dx., her neurologist prescribed Mirapex...starting with a low dose and gradually increasing the dosage. Her tremor was literally eliminated...her energy level extremely high...her handwriting was better than ever...it was just an all-round effective medication for her. However, unknown to us at the time about the possibility of developing OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), I noticed the signs of the disorder but made no connection to the Mirapex. At the time, not much (if anything) was known about this POSSIBLE side effect nor was there any kind of "caution" on the labeling and pharmaceutical printouts. I will just say..and I have said it here in the past...the period of time while my pwp was taking Mirapex was a nightmare...excessive over-spending without a thought as to the money she was spending. She would purchase items (mostly electronics)...bring these home...keep them for a few days..then return them...buy something else...and on and on she continued this procedure...often purchasing many duplicates of the same item, e.g., we had FIVE weather stations...all similar...distributed throughout a 3 1/2 room apartment. This is just ONE example of the duplication. It wasn't until I read at another forum about the possibility of developing OCD while taking Mirapex that it "dawned" on me that this was the problem. At the time, even her neurologist was unaware, but just as soon as we told him about this, he immediately weaned my pwp off Mirapex. I will say that she had gradually increased to what I believe to have been the maximum dosage, i.e., 4.5 mg. daily. To this day, we wonder if a lower dose of Mirapex could be added back into her medication regimen simply because my pwp fared so well on this medication, i.e., as related to her symptoms and general overall well being...and, in fact, we are considering asking her neurologist if he would consider adding a lower dose.
Again...as Carey said...it can be an effective PD medication but needs to be taken with due caution.

Therese
Virginia Therese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote