View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Chemar,

There isn't a need for you to apologize, that's for sure .

The Chiro your husband saw, is it someone he has been seeing for some time and a person he trusts? I mean, there are some very astute Chiros who have quite a background (in medicine and their skill at reading reports in conjunction with symptoms is astounding; I'd be remiss in not mentioning chirogeek.com; he's helped me greatly in understanding my MRIs, CTs, etc.).

Because the C-spine has the cord running through it and a wrong movement or slippage in manipulation can lead to such severe probs., I asked about the levels of your hubby's films and report.

It sounds like his nerves are compressed or impinged. If that were so and he were having no symptoms, I'd say, okay, no biggie. But with pain also, it is a prob. (I am thinking, if he were feeling no pain, there would be no films, so he must be having symptoms.)

I am not familiar with some of the terms; I was away for the weekend and it'd take me some time to find what the terms mean, only it might be better if you Google but leave out the precise spinal levels; you'll likely get more results that can give a fairly good overview of what the terms mean (placed in surrounding quote marks).

Before deciding on any course of actions, I'd consult with at least 3 surgeons and at least 3 PM (Pain Management) docs. If one is just a needle-jockey (inserting needles and making a staple of money from doing that), I'd find another.

If your husband is feeling bladder/bowel dysfunction, then, surgery will be a pressing concern. It's nothing to mess around with and if his "business" is/or becomes uncontrolled; make sure he gets to the ER and mention: Cauda Equina.

With injections, I've noted that people tend to have a greater success (or efficacy) with the C-spine than with the L-spine. But... that's based on anecdotals - people on various forums who can also be influenced by what others have noted from their procedures. I mean, if someone is talking about theirs and how it hurts, others come along and say, yeah it hurts and all I feel is pain. But, only a doc gets the followup results by doing an exam, etc. People can influence others, even unwittingly.

I've had good results with injections (C-spine, T-spine and L-spine). Everything I read, as I think people should do, is for informational purposes. Diagnostic injections can help assess whether your husband may benefit from more than one injection and to rule out the possibility of a placebo effect.

Whatever you two decide, just be sure to get more than one opinion and from various doctors. Ask about risks (and how the procedures are performed).

Too, don't hesitate to ask more questions. Someone will surely be able to offer some insights. And, read the fine print .

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote