View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart

New London

My oldest brother died last August from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Since then, it seems that I rarely talk with anyone who isn't aware of someone with ALS.

Over a period of two years, we watched helplessly as my brother lost the ability to walk, lift his arms and use his hands. Eventually, he couldn't use his voice or chew and swallow his food. He had a feeding tube inserted into his stomach.

During these losses, his ability to breathe on his own decreased and he had to rely on a breathing machine to pump air into his lungs. He could neither smile nor wink to indicate happiness or distress.

My brother died slowly, day by day, knowing exactly what was happening to him and how he would die. Throughout it all, he experienced excruciating pain.

My brother is just one of thousands of Americans who have suffered with ALS. Unfortunately, there are no centralized records of how many people are diagnosed with ALS, or even how many people die from it every year.

In order for researchers to learn more about the disease and eventually develop effective treatments, our country needs a national ALS registry. Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., introduced the ALS Registry Act earlier this year.

Researchers would have important data about the incidence and prevalence of ALS throughout the country. They would have the data they need to develop treatments and management of this awful disease. Ultimately, this registry will aid researches to find a treatment and cure for ALS.

Please contact your members of Congress and ask them to pass the ALS Registry Act. To learn more about ALS, go to www.alsa.org.

Evelyn Whelan Rudolph,

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc...709040536/1036

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote