View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 01:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
In the USA, a neuropsychologist is a psychologist that studies the relationship between the CNS and behavior. While many of them do evaluate through testing for brain disorders and injury, many also engage in psychotherapy with brain disordered patients, trying to improve the quality of life and to further understand brain injuries and disorders. Some neuropsychologists may work through the courts as forensic witnesses, testifying about brain injury.

Not only do they need a doctoral degree in psychology, but extensive study in anatomy, specifically CNS (brain and spine).

A psychiatrist is an MD (medical doctor) who has also done advanced studies in mental illness. In essence they have a medical specialty of the mind. Their main difference from psychologists is they can prescribe medications. (This is changing somewhat because in some areas now specially trained psychologists may prescribe a limited number of meds.) They keep abreast of the psychotropic medications used to treat mental disorders much more closely than regular MDs (usually.) Most psychiatrists in the USA do not engage in psychotherapy. Any psychiatrist may apply for certification through the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. However, I believe they are two different specialties (Psychiatry, Neurology.)

A psychiatrist may also specialize in forensics, addiction, child and adolescent, geriatric areas. They may also specialize in neurophysioloy, neurodevelopmental disabilities, neuromuscular and/or pain medicine (which also encompasses psychiatry, neurologic or child neurologic subspecialties.)

Some links are: http://www.abpn.com/cert_specialties.htm
www.apa.org
www.medfriendly.com TC! JD

Last edited by JD; 09-27-2006 at 01:35 AM. Reason: (Left a word out :D)
JD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote