View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Healed Myelin..

I went in to see my neurologist in the spring and he redid the tests (emg., etc.) that gave him the diagnosis of CIDP... He said that the tests showed vast improvement... When I asked him how much, like 75% or 80%, he said more like 80% to 90% improvement...

Unlike others, I have not taken the usual prescribed treatments... By the time I got the diagnosis and was thinking about which treatment would be best, I thought I noticed an improvement in my strength (about 2 months after the onset) and decided to forego treatment and see what would happen... I went back in about 2 months and was already beginning to climb stairs (albeit, holding onto something and very slowly) but had continual pins and needles in my hands... He prescribed gabapentin and that worked... Now I only get them when I am typing, etc...

I still have many of the sensory residuals going on....pins and needles, can stand for only a few minutes, balance issues, creepy crawlies up and down my back, muscle spasms, and fatigue, but at least my strength is back... I am not sure why I have these residuals if the myelin is so much healed... I guess it must be axonal damage or the myelin is not healed correctly (onion bulbs? in some of the literature)... I must ask him the next time I go in... He makes my appointments 6 months apart, but I go in more often if there is something going on or if I think I am relapsing... I have not had a "for sure" relapse, ie. not being able to climb stairs, squeeze a clothespin, etc., but just times when I felt weaker or have more neuro residuals bothering me...

I think I am getting "used to" the residuals... Is that possible..???

Aimee

Well...what I like best---" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.
From The Tao of Pooh
aimee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote