View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ack! So sorry to hear about that. Three times now in three different years I've been sent to shrinks by neurologists who couldn't quite pinpoint the source of my symptoms, and instead of seeking a second neuro opinion, decided I must have psychological problems (the last time despite an EMG showing neuropathy, grumble).

Do you suppose you are being doubted because of your fibromyalgia diagnosis? I can't tell you how many doctors have seen my fibromyalgia diagnosis and have blamed ALL my medical problems on it. While it is true that fibro does cause a wide variety of symptoms, it doesn't mean you can't have that AND something else.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any docs to you because I can't find one myself. I had excellent rheumatologists in Denver, but I recently moved to Sioux Falls and so far have found nothing but quacks here. I've got the names of some docs at the Mayo Clinic who are supposed to be excellent, but I'm scared to death to make an appointment because of my horrible experiences with previous docs.

Maybe you can wait to get another doc until you find out the results of the endo tests? If they show problems besides fibromyalgia, perhaps the next doc will take you seriously then? Don't know, just trying to throw ideas out there.

In the meantime, breathe. You will get through this, upsetting though it is.

I wish every doc who dismissed a patient with the "all in your head" speech would be forced to undergo psychiatric testing to prove that THEY are not crazy.

fanfaire