View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My son, spastic quad, had severe leg scissoring and we opted for the rhizotomy prior to any lengthenings. My understanding is the rhizotomy works wonders for many children, but my son was not one of them. Apparently he had more dystonia than spasticity and so the rhizotomy did not help. He was 3 when he had the rhizotomy, and less than 2 years later, his hips were fully dislocated. The rhizotomy was tough, but the hip surgery was even worse. He is now 7 and has had his adductors lengthened twice, and hamstrings and gastrocs each done once. The scissoring is still there, but the lengthenings have helped. In comparison to the other two surgeries, the lengthening was not as difficult on him, although the casting wasn't any picnic either. My suggestion would be as you continue to research the rhizotomy, be very selective as far as a surgeon's qualifications to ascertain how helpful the rhizotomy would be for you daughter. I know that it really helps a lot of children and I would guess my son was an exception.
Becky
Becker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote