View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 12:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's great that your PT is aware of these things that can be triggers for us TOSers, and hopefully the therapy is as good as the tips. Part of controlling TOS instead of letting TOS control you is learning to adapt your behavior so you avoid setting off flares if at all possible.

That said, a lot of activities maybe can still be done, or at least partially done, they just need to be done differently, or for short periods of time, or with frequent breaks. And YOU are going to have to be the judge of which activities make you flare, or how long you can do something without paying for it the next day. It is a new life, a different one. But you can still have a life!

Driving used to be a real nightmare for me. I actually sold my beloved Honda CRV and spent a lot of time looking before settling on a 2004 Dodge Stratus, which is a great car for me, cause the bucket seat cradles my achy neck and the seat is low so my hands sit naturally at 5 and 7 on the steering wheel. I don't use it like I should, but a pillow under my bad arm makes driving even better. Almost all of my driving is within 30 miles, very rarely I'll drive 60 miles to meet my Mom. Anything over that and dh is the designated driver!

With laundry, a major problem is the washer and dryer are in the basement, and I'm not real steady on the stairs carrying a laundry basket, even with a light load. I can put clothes in the wash, except big loads of jeans, and take them out of the dryer, but don't transfer the wet things between. And I fold towels, socks, undies, anything that I can do with my arms close to my body and without having to shake out!

I lift things up to abt 8 lbs, but don't hold or carry them any longer than absolutely necessary. Sometimes I'll do little shops, or grocery shop with dh, but I find the grocery store just exhausts me - too loud, too big, too confusing - it really is stressful now as compared to before.

I do use a straw most of the time as I find it is more comfortable, and a steak knife cuts most food easily, but I have had dh cut my meat on a few occasions - a bit overcooked I think!

My advice is to decide what activities you like to do are most troublesome due to TOS - driving, reading, cooking, what-have-you. Then really focus on how you can adapt those things so you can still do them, even if on a limited basis. There are a lot of good disability aids out there. When I read, I prop my book up on a pillow, and use the armrest of the sofa for my bad arm - still not convinced of the book rest thing. I packed up the stoneware and bought Corelle, so I can load and unload the dishwasher.

You do need to pay attention though to see what triggers your flares - that knowledge is the key!

In the meantime, don't be too down on yourself if you forget a piece of advice or find it impossible to follow it all - we're all only human, and we've already got so much on our plate with TOS. Stressing over it will only make you hurt worse, you don't want that, now do you?

hugs,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote