Thread: new member
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default needles, etc.

Hi Kate,

Yep, your story sounds familiar, although my venipuncture injury occurred during a whole blood donation, believe it or not. I'd donated for two decades without any problems, and then this happened. I was never scared of needles, but now the thought of someone putting a needle in my right arm almost gives me an anxiety attack. Left arm is better, although I also have to concentrate on relaxing. If you're really anxious about a pending needlestick, try this: Close your eyes, slowly relax each muscle from the head down, then imagine that arm is not attached to your body. Don't let the phlebotomist rush you.

Like you, I initially had problems with gripping, weakness, and numbness in my hand and forearm, but am now having problems extending my fingers. I'm right-handed and need dexterity in my fingers for my job. My neurologist hadn't seen anyone with an injury like mine, and it took a while for him to understand that it isn't stiffness in my finger joints as much as it is tightness in the muscles. I tell him that it feels like someone has hooked big tight rubber bands from the lower part of each finger (and thumb) to a central point in the palm of my hand. Mine is much worse when the hand is cold, and my OT recommended using a paraffin bath to warm up the hand before doing stretching exercises. So, I got a little one (~$20 at Walmart) and have it in my office at work. They evidently use them for arthritis patients, and it also softens the skin. After it's heated up every morning, I dip my hand in 5-7 times, building up a layer of wax and heating up my hand. I then quickly put a plastic bag over it, then an "oven mitt" kind of thing over that. After I let it sit for ~5 minutes, my hand is nice and warm and I can really stretch it out. The wax layer comes right off when you remove the plastic bag. It sounds weird but really seems to help, especially with my thumb.

By the way, I thought I was a strong person and was handling all of this, but realized this winter that it was affecting my mood, my work, and relationships with my family. So, I saw a psychologist for about 3 months this spring. He is a great listener and taught me a relaxation/mood-elevation technique that I use frequently. It doesn't lesson the symptoms, but helps me function and be less irritable, especially when they are flaring up. I won't hesitate to go back and see him if I need to. So, if anyone out there doesn't want to see a counselor because they don't think they need to, be honest with yourself. Getting therapy doesn't mean you're a wuss. Look for someone who has experience with chronic pain patients.

My husband, family, and co-workers have been great, but as many of you can probably relate to, in the back of my mind I am concerned that if I "whine" about this too much, I'll drive away my support system. So, I talk about it enough to keep me sane without driving everyone else crazy. That's why I think this forum is great. You guys understand.

I'm more realistic with myself about how this affects me, too. My motto is "I know this really affects me, but I won't let it define me".

Kate, I'm sorry to hear your symptoms are worsening. Although I'm a relative newbie to all of this, I remember how scary it was when the symptoms worsened and spread. I hope PT is helpful for you again. Cute baby! I'm amazed that you can handle this and four kids under 8. I have two under the age of eight, and they keep me hopping (which is probably a good thing).

Take care,
Annie Poo
Annie Poo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote