Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe
LOL! I had no idea you had typos! I'm not familiar with Cabnvas or
Canvas back ducks. thanks for explaining that....Great Lakes area? I'm in northern Indiana and a huge fan of Lake Michigan. Ever been to Tower Hill?
No I am sorry we don't get to the Lake Michigan side often. We are in the UP in the most Eastern part just before Canada. Northern Lake Huron.

We don't have many Canvas Backs at all. 90% of our "ducks" are Common Mergansers. Mergansers are technically not ducks, but they quack and we all call them that. Ducks eat vegetation, these all eat fish/snails, crayfish etc.
We have some loons too. Lots of calling this year. Mergansers pool families and we had two groups of over 19 each when we left. In fact I saw the Canvas back mom threat display twice to a small group of Mergansers who swam past her. So there must be a competition of sorts between the two
types.(this was new to me)

It is unusual to have tiny babies in very late August like those two. If the mink family had used our old dock pilings as a nursery (like they do every year) this year, those two ducklings would be gone in an instant. As it was, there were only two left. And we saw them 1/2 grown the day we left, so these two made it that far at least. They only come by us when it is calm. Lake Huron can be mighty rough!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote