View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi Nicole, and all the others in this thread so far. Yep, I too have TN and ooohhh how I can relate with all the don'ts that you've listed (plus a few others). I guess you could say that my case isn't as severe as what many go through as I'm the atypical or constant pain..instead of the classic TN with the shooting electric type. Mine started in Dec. '97 soon after I had had a throat infection. It took 2 rounds of antibiotic to clear up the low grade fever and soon thereafter other symptoms began. I woke one morn. to find that my temple, eyebrow, eyelids on left side were numb. I went that same day to my general practice dr. that had treated the infection. His answer was "apparently the infection has decided to go to the nerve endings, let's do a diff type of meds and see how it goes in another week". The feeling seemed to gradually disappear over that time, but as it did, the pain began. To make the long story short...over the next 10 months I was on about 5 diff medicines trying to find the right one that would anyways ease the pain which seemed to be gradually increasing month by month. An oral surgeon finally mentioned that I had "all the symptoms of TN" and proceeded to briefly explain it to me. Since that time I have had to miss many marching band performances that my sons were in, soccer games, getting quite depressed sitting inside my house in the winter months here in Ohio and watching other family members work their butts off shoveling through snowdrifts in our driveway. I too was trying to work as a cashier of a fast food restaurant at that time as a cashier. I would get shooting pains like someone was punching me in the eye..dry explaining THAT to a customer without drawing attention to ourselves..not easy is it Nicole? I'd try my best to hide it the same way you have done dear. When I discovered that it was my manager that had written "DRUGS" on my meal list one day..that was when my husband said to her .."not that you give a rat's you know what..but today will be her last day of work there if YOU the manager is the one behind all of this harrassment" !! Yes, I could have taken them to court, but I figured they could care less whether I worked or not and I haven't worked a day since. Don't give up on neuro drs. Yes, it takes many..I think I've seen about 8 diff ones in 10 yrs time. Presently, I don't even have one as it's the family practice dr. that came up with the right combination of two diff meds (Neurontin and Elavil) that relieved my pain. I mean totally, zero pain for 3 yrs. I weaned off the Elavil and am now just taking the Neurontin..there's periods where the pain might become noticable (maybe a 3 on scale of 10) but when it does it only lasts a few minutes and is gone again. Nicole, if you haven't yet searched out the national trigeminal neuralgia association..I highly recommend it. They have a wonderful book that is a Bible to many of us that's called "Striking Back". Also, you might find a support contact phone person through their website as well, they are life savers for many of us when we're at our worst of pain.
God Bless You,

Marilyn

We are friends for a reason. Sometimes we don't know why until we've been friends for a long time !!!

Take time to laugh, it's music to the soul.

Corkybird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote