Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default To Vicc

Vicc,
Thanks for your response
Sorry about how the response regarding Alisons Consultant sounded - I think you caught me on a bad day and the very thought that the person who was treating my daughter may be wrong scared the life out of me !!!
I have heard this theory about personality affecting suseptability to illness mentioned before - I remember once asking my mothers Consultant whether I was at risk of developing MS because she had the illness.
I clearly remember his response being that whilst MS was not genetic, there were suggestions that certain types of people were more suseptable to the illness (normally the worriers, workaholics, people suseptable to stress etc) and that genetics may play a part in making me similar in personality to my mum. I think thats always stuck in my mind and in the early stages of Alison diagnosis I felt it had come back to haunt me
Having spoken to the Consultant at length since then I feel reassured that this film was made a long time ago and his opinions have now changed
I think a lot of the problems in the UK appear to be that we are often years behind developments in the States due to our licensing procedures etc.
We have always been told to think positively and hope that we will eventually find the correct combination of medications and therapies to place the illness into remission
My concern is the staggering amounts of medication Alison is taking at such a young age which have no effect whatsoever on her pain or dystonia and whether there would be any long term consequences of her continuing to take them
Thanks again
Andrea