View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Andrea,

Although I'm nearly 25 years old now, I was about Ali's age when I first got RSD, about a month after my twelfth birthday. Although my personal experience can't substitute for hard medical evidence, I can tell you that, having taken similar medications to the ones Ali is on, I have had no lasting ill effects.

I had quite a few adverse (and some allergic) reactions to many of the medications, but as I'm whole and fairly healthy...and usually happy (when my weekend off isn't ruined), I'd say that the medications did not harm me permanently in any way. The only problem I still have from the medications is that having RSD led me to discover that I am allergic to NSAIDs (possibly from a lot of exposure to them). I assume that had I been just exposed over a lifetime of popping Advil for headaches, I would eventually have had a reaction anyway.

And for something with more potential for permanent harm, I want to address the personality issue. I see and hear the assertion that certain personality types get RSD way too often. It's always someone talking about how "type A" personalities get RSD.

First of all, let's remember that if they didn't stereotype us as being go-getters, we'd be stereotyped as lazy. I suppose I'd rather take the first option, although I find both extremely insulting. I didn't get RSD because I'm a workaholic...mostly because I'm not really a workaholic. I enjoy my time off, and I'm really sick of having it ruined this morning, to be honest!! (This is ultimately the downside of living where I work...the upside is no commute in the morning).

At the age of 12, just like all 12-year-olds, my personality wasn't developed enough to justify typecasting as a type-A personality or not. Most 12-year-olds want to please adults and work hard. Why? Because that's what they're trained to do!! If they don't do that, parents and other adults generally punish them. It is ENTIRELY unfair to tell a child that his or her good behavior is the cause of their (physical) painful disease...not to mention that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I know plenty of lazy, unambitious people who have RSD. I also know plenty of ambitious, active people who have RSD. Here's a shocker for Ali's doc: people with RSD are individuals, just like the rest of the general population.

Please, PLEASE don't accept this line of thought from ANYONE, doctor or not! I can promise you that these thoughts are much more permanently damaging than any drugs that Ali could ever take.

Whereas I've had no lasting problems from any of the medication, I can assure you that had I never been doubted, that had the physical origin of my RSD never been questioned, I would be a more confident and independent person today. These are issues that I'm still working through. I sincerely hope that Allison comes through this better than I.

-Betsy
betsyherm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote