View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Update on MMA

Thanks Liza Jane for the follow-up. No I haven't had it done yet. MMA is not a standard lab done in Australia for B12 deficiency. I have found a genetics service lab who do it but I will have to pay for all the tests and transport of sample, as it is not covered by our medicare system, so it will be expensive.

On Wednesday this week I will be seeing my neurologist. My plan is to listen to her and look at the results of all the tests done so far. See if there is another obvious cause for the PN and if not, (especially she wants to label me 'idiopathic') I have a couple of things I will tell her I am not happy about (one definitely being the B12) so I will ask her for the pathology request form for the extra B12 test, MMA and homocysteine to be done.

If she refuses or thinks it is unecessary I have a couple of other doctors who I've researched who I know will order them for me. I know it is a bit drawn out this way but I do not want to start on high doses of Vit B12 without having further testing, as it makes it difficult in the future for ongoing treatment and medication cover/subsidies.

I am still feeling very unwell along with all the parasthesias and gastric discomfort - so I'm looking forward to Wednesday in the hope I can start to get to the bottom of all this......but rest assured I will be upping my B12 intake significantly one way or another even if there is another explanation for the PN.
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote