View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Antidepressants

Oh yes, Evon, I've tried several. Zoloft was okay at first, but then it turned to darkness somehow--side effects that I no longer recall. Then there was Wellbutrin and maybe something else, and then Effexor for several years, which was still okay but I felt it was contributing to weight gain, and I think the doc who prescribed it thought it was less effective. About a year ago I went on Cymbalta, which helped with the pre-op pain and has shown very few side effects. I've been moody, though, and the cause seemed to be that I have immediate psychological effects when I go off, while I had been keeping myself slightly undermedicated all the time to avoid dyskinesia, and without the painkillers, which I no longer needed, my other drugs couldn't quite keep up with my symptoms. It was my neuropsychiatrist who suggested about a month ago that I try slightly smaller doses close together in the morning, and then less frequently in the afternoon. I now take the dopamine-related meds at roughly 6, 9, 12, 5, and 10, in doses of 3/4, 3/4, 1, 1, 1 25/100 tablets of Sinemet with Comtan, and with Requip 5 mg at 6, 2, and 10. This is working quite well for me right now. I've also stepped up the exercise from a slow period over the summer.

I think your articulate description of trying different things is typical. It's a constant balancing act. If anyone knew what these drugs actually do and/or how they do it, that would help. The important thing is to keep up the good work and keep trying things until you get the right one. Keeping a mood-and-med diary can help the doc see into your life beyond the 15 minutes usually allotted.

We do go downhill in slides, but there's a plateau that we reach where we can get used to things for a while.... but this isn't my day to think about those things. Best to see someone and have your meds scrambled again.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote