View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I somehow managed to tough it out and work the first eight years I was sick. It was absolute hell, and the only reason I got away with it so long is that my husband was able to drive me there and back. By the time I had to stop, I was constantly falling asleep at my desk, making major errors that I would have to fix before they were discovered, making unscheduled potty breaks as often as once an hour, etc.

My primary rheumatologist told me in 2004 that I should go on disability. By 2005, when I had to go on sick leave for a lymph node biopsy, most of my eight doctors were in agreement with the rheumy. I took what I thought was going to be a five-month leave of absence to get my health issues in order, but I never recovered enough to return.

How I wish I could be gainfully employed! My poor husband has to slave away at a job he hates because he needs to make a certain dollar amount for us to keep a roof over our heads. When I told him I wished I could trade with him (we were in the same line of work), he considered it for a moment and then said, "Wait, does that mean I'd have to be sick then? No thanks!"

I do admire those of you who've been able to suck it up and keep working. Because of being on disability, I could no longer afford to live in Denver and had to move to Sioux Falls where the cost of living is about half. I don't fit in at all here and have dreadfully substandard insurance and doctors.

But we do the best we can with what we have, right? I am able to get out of bed most days even when I can't leave the house.

fanfaire