View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow do we have a lot in common.

My daughter - Rebecca Helen - is 5 and in a normal classroom for Kindergarten. This is a rough age, and I question myself every day whether her behavior issues are an age thing, a hydro thing, a seizure thing, or something I myself caused.

She is hard to get along with at times. Goes from sweet to sour in a second. And sometimes her fits are REALLY hard to calm her from. She can even get a bit aggressive lately. Not like her. I am wondering if Kindergarten and dealing with more social expectaions/demand there is overwhelming her - but then again - much of it was there before school started too.

Becca also has hydro - probably caused by aqueductal stenosis - or possibly a small stroke - the just will forever be out. She's had two ETVs and three shunts - two CSF infections post-op. Started having seizures at age 2 - complex partials mostly that sometimes turn into status simple partials. She is right side hemiplegic - so behind in motor skills - but actually way ahead in cognitive - reading at third grade level too.

We luckily did not have any issues with potty training though. That is all pretty foreign to me, though I have a friend with the kidney reflux you speak of on antibiotics too.

What meds does Helen take? Becca is currently on keppra and titrating up on lamictal. She was only on keppra and that is a drug known to cause behavior problems. . .so we are eager to see when she gets weaned off if it makes a difference. This will not happen until around Christmas though.

Just keep in mind that it COULD be med-related. Or it might just be part of it.

Becca also - though it is only every now and then - nothing consistant - complains of a headache. Usually in the morning. I document it all, freak out a bit, then watch close for other symptoms. Sometimes I know she has used this to stall or get her way (like getting us to lay with her longer at bedtime, etc.). She either says she hasa headache or a stomachache - but I just know it is not genuine. It's a hard age. The other ones I can really tell she is bothered. I take those seriously.

I wish I could help you, but I too am struggling with the behavior issues. We had an EEG last week and an MRI in 2 weeks becasue of increased seizures and headaches. I want to know about the EEG so bad.

Do keep us posted and share any new thoughts or strategies you come up with please.

Hugs,
Kathleen
kathleenandjoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote