View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 11:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default expectations

If they start with your right side and your problem is left....it would surprise me to see you gain adequate relief. However, I trust they have a plan for a reason.

RF "requires a positive block"....it's a nerve block carried out prior to going ahead with RF. What sort of relief did you get with your diagnostic block? This will/should indicate the type of relief expected from your RF. I've had top and bottom RF's. My C spine worked like a dream. My lumbar RF relieved me of local (mechanical) low back pain....but did nothing for sciatic pain. I've had long standing lumbar disc protrusions plus facet joint involvement, a common type of problem amongst many of us here. My OSS has booked me for another shot at L spine RF but also discussed the likely need for nerve sheath injection (ESI).....if RF doesn't address my pain adequately. I'm expecting him to do right and left side of L4-5, S1 as he did before. I understand that a number of levels can be done at the one sitting depending on need.

I do believe you should call and confirm the type of sedation you will get. My OSS will never do RF under any condition other than neurolept anaesthetic (you know it as versed). He said it is essential to have me as still as possible and is the reason for neurolept anaesthetic in a day surgery setting. Neurolept (versed) provides an amnesiac state where you can participate but won't remember what has been done. In some circumstances the patient might be too lightly sedated but the anaesthetist should respond with a top-up.....reason why a patient reports awareness of parts of their procedure. It's also done under fluoroscopy guidance for safety and accuracy.

I've never had problems with mobility on wakening in recovery....even after lumbar spine treatment. My walking is "a bit" wobbly at the best of times but I've not yet required a stick or other aids. I do experience quite a bit of muscle twitching after my RF's are performed.....usually settles after a month or so. I put this down to nerve that feeds muscle having been stimulated during the procedure.....it doesn't bother me. I think that post procedure pain would vary person to person depending on individual tolerance. It's not until the day after that I feel sore and bruised....nothing that my usual pain meds won't cover....might dip into prescribed stronger med if needed. I'm instructed to take it easy during the first week of recovery at home. As I said in previous post.....at approx week three I was able to determine the degree of relief I'd gained.

It sounds to me as if your doctor has set a similar plan to mine. Attempt RF, and if all fails give ESI a shot. ESI (epidural steriod injection) is the better choice for disc matter.....sciatic leg pain. Where do you feel your pain the most? I find that "constant" sciatic pain is my worst but having RF for facets (the local back pain stuff) then ESI to knock-off sciatica. Well, maybe there's hope for total relief.

I don't understand a doctor not offering neurolept anaesthetic these days. It's prettywell the norm for this type of procedure.
meagain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote