View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 12:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

resqgirl911, thank you for posting this. I am currently using OneTouch. I changed from AccuChek only because someone gave me four packs of 100 strips each, which is the equivalent of nearly $400-worth of strips at my pharmacy. That was worth buying a new monitor, I qualified for a rebate, so I paid $20 out of pocket for all this.

I cross checked, and OneTouch gives me readings of about 10 points lower than AccuCheck, but it was consistent, so I just take that into consideration.

But because the AccuCheck and OneTouch strips are so INCREDIBLY expensive (and they keep going up instead of down), I decided I will switch to a low-cost monitor that uses less expensive strips, and Freestyle is on the list of considerations.

I'm Type I diabetic and brittle, which means my blood sugar can plunge in a heartbeat if I do some as simple as walking just half a mile, and there are times it soars with the same foods that I did okay with the day before. As such, I take insulin every time I eat (in addition to long acting insulin), and if my blood sugar is running high I take it also.

So the difference in the readings you describe here would be critical for me.

As an aside, do you know another person with a meter that you could check yours against? The risk in comparing with just one is that it may be your mother's that is off and not yours.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do some additional homework.

TCC
The Crystal Cave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote