Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Skin Biopsies?

Here is a short version on them:
http://www.massgeneral.org:80/neurol...opsy/index.htm

I have to tell you, and you can find longer posts if you use the 'search' feature on the top blue bar and search 'biopsies'.... that I had one neuro who WANTED to do a full sural biopsy on me- I declined in no uncertain terms!...

I did web searches up hill and down...and what I found was: Sural biopsies and punch biopsies only PROVE that there is damage. How much real damage is determined by HOW GOOD the biopsy labs handle and test the 'samples'. Pain and damage from such biopsies can often be worse than not having them at all..and if the samples aren't done absollutely perfectly, the pain etc. is for naught. Many insurance companies [BC/BS, Aetna, Humana and a few other biggies] do not any longer cover the costs of Sural Biopsies and list the various STEPS [very much in line, but less elaborate] similar to all the test options on Liza Janes Worksheets. No Kidding. The diagnostic processes for CIDP include about 15-20 tests, bloodwork, MRIs, and Nerve conduction studies... I met, according to my insurances' policy practices...the 9 out of 10 rule. That sure was enuf for me...I'd done all but the 'sweat/tilt table' test. I think I grateful I 'missed' that one?

I essentially declined to have a sural biopsy done for the following reasons: 1-It could damage more nerves -I very much like what few I have thank you!; 2-It only confirms absolutely, what other testings indicate; and 3- this particular neuro was TOO DURNED eager to have a go at it! [Which reads, in my book -HE wanted to DO ONE! ON ME! I do NOT like to be a professional guinea pig]

I wish BobB/Nide44 would pop in and pipe up, as he is a proponent for the 'Punch Biopsies' done at Hopkins...and I would accede to one of those to only confirm what all is going on w/the small nerves.....
If you click on the Mass Gen indexes at the top of the page, you will see that the paperwork and justifications of all this stuff is NOT done lightly. And, the 'punch' is far less invasive than the other option [now considered 'dated' by those WHO PAY].

Melody, lots of folks could say a lot, but probably only in the 'shadow profile' type of approaches...after all we STILL have to go to docs? I don't know about you, I SURE do NOT want to be marked as a 'trouble patient'?

Lailavia, I hope this all helps you get thru all the frustrations that go with all this STUFF! MOST important that you get some ANSWERS! I truly hope you DO get answers. That's always the bestest part. - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote