Thread: 9/11
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I thought I was going to have a great week. Was at a business retreat in the catskills courtesy of ABC. I was in from Chicago but I lived in Manhattan for 13 years prior to moving.

That morning I was in yoga class (gotta love spa retreats) with the president of ABC news sales when the first plane hit. Someone came in and whispered to her and she turned white and walked out. The yoga instructor then announced that the US was under attack and we watched the second plane hit.

We were perfectly safe but a lot of the guests were from NYC and they had family in the towers. I did not know anyone in the towers myself. BUt my husband's client was Morgan Stanley and the majority of that company got out.

We were in a pretty remote inn in the catskills with one phone for over 20 people. No cells phones worked.

The sheriff came to the inn and told us that no one was allowed to leave because the roads bordered the reservoirs and they were on guard in case anyone tried to poison them. all we could do was watch TV. And there were only 2 TV's.

I was like third to get to the phone and I did not call loved ones first as i knew my immediate family was ok. My first call was to Hertz and I got the last car in the county. Then I called my now hubby. My clients were very thankful for my quick thinking. Something just told me there was no flyng for a few days and how would i get these folks home.

Two days later when we were allowed to leave the inn, I picked up the car and we drove 5 people in total back to the midwest.

I will never forget the pain and images from 9/11.

I flew the following week back to Newark airport and was proud to do so. The airline and airport staff was amazing!

While it brings tears to my eyes to remember, I am so proud to be an american and so loved the patriotism we all shared despite the ernormity of the tradegy.

God Bless all the victims of 9/11, living and gone.

Last edited by watsonsh; 09-10-2007 at 11:43 PM.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote