View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Brief History for my wife: She was involved in a farm accident in December of 1995. As a result of this accident, she shattered her entire left elbow joint. From this original injury, came the onslaught of viscious neuropathic and orthopedic pain. Marilyn's left upper quadrant was the primary RSD focus. Over the years, the RSD pain has migrated--the migration was not rapid, but after more injuries, a couple of back surgeries, and most recently a tendon repair operation, she is a mess.

So, it's 12 years down the road and her pain is getting worse and more intense as the months pass. She is wearing down like an old alarm clock spring. I can see the fight in her spirit is diminishing. Marilyn takes an anti-epileptic for pain control. That's it. She has tried various other approaches, non which provided satisfactory.

A surgical sympathectomy, directly recommended by Dr. Schwartzman at the time, was done with moderate success. She was relieved of much pain for about 18-24 months. The pain came back as we knew it would. Marilyn said the relief for that time frame was worth it. Yes, the nerves that were severed did grow back, but the pain didn't appear to be any worse than prior to the sympathectomy. BTW--we researched the heck out of the procedure before deciding it was viable for Marilyn.

Marilyn also gets a Bier Block about every 8 or 9 months. Sometimes she can last a year after having the Bier Block. But Marilyn always knew that somewhere down the line, unless a cure was found, and that isn't in the cards yet, she would have to strongly considered an scs or pump situation for herself.

She is not a candidate for any ketamine infusion therapies. None, not outpatient, not inpatient, not Schwartzman's Germany bound procedure, not Harbut's protocol. Her heart reacts very badly to ketamine in any form. So that avenue of hope for Marilyn is shut out--much to my chagrin and hers as well.

I don't want to go on and on. As part of our research we would very much appreciate input for all those who have experience with any type of scs unit. We would also ask those who respond to let us know which manufacturer's unit was installed.

Thank you all for your kind responses so far.

johnthepainter (I am a house painter by trade)
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote