View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So glad to hear some anti-MAG responses out there!

Here's what I know so far about anti-MAG. Glentaj is exactly right. It's an elevated IgM protein in the blood that produces anti-bodies that attack the Myelin sheath. I've been told it is mostly sensory, but can develop into a motor-neuropathy. The doctors don't know why a person's blood all of a sudden starts producing too much IgM, or why everyone with the excess protein doesn't get neuropathy. (Rina-- this is a special blood test not in your usual workup). The same elevated protein is also associated with scary cancers like multiple myeloma (bones) and Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia (blood cancer) so they do tests for those too. I guess I should consider myself lucky since after months of tests at the University of Chicago all the really hideous things were ruled out and I was left just the way I came in -- with numb, tingling, and burning feet, and no cure or treatment.

For me, it started with numbness on the bottom of my left foot and in my toes, and was exacerbated when I walked a lot. (I like to walk miles along the lakefront). I assumed it was a mechanical issue and I went to orthopedic doctors first, who diagnosed it as metarsalgia (basically inflammation from fallen metarsal arches). I argued with a string of orthotists whose expensive orthotics had no effect. Then, anxious to do something more proactive, I wrongly had surgery for a modified bunionectomy and the insertion of screws in my foot to keep the bones from moving around too much. Of course the incisions killed off even more nerves that never came back. Then I tried a podiatrist who specialized in neuropathy who wanted to do more surgery to release what he said was tarsal tunnel (a nerve compression). All along I kept asking these doctors if I should see a neurologist and they said, no, not necessary. Finally after a chiropractor, acupuncture, and chinese herbs, I found my own neurologist and got my diagnosis. I go back tomorrow for a 6 month visit.

From what I hear from CIDP sufferers, another auto-immune neuropathy, that condition sounds far more debilitating. The only positive about CIDP is that it does seem to respond to some treatments. Steroids have no effect on most anti-MAG, nor do they seem to recommend the IV plasma exchange treatement. The only treatment that shows some benefit is Rituxan but since it's so toxic, they wait until you're in really bad shape before trying it.

What little information I have seen says anti-MAG shows "little progression over long periods." With a heightened awareness of every new twitch and buzz and sting moving slowly up my feet for the past three years, and now above my ankles, I'm trying to grasp what slowly progressive means. I'm also trying to imagine how I can walk if the muscles still work but I can't feel any sensations below my knees. I've always had extremely high energy levels, do lots of different things including run my own business and take care of a family, and am pretty fit and otherwise healthy for being almost 60. This anti-MAG isn't really slowing my hyperactivity down too much but it does make walking uncomfortable. I'm just wondering how much longer do I have before it gets really bad, and how bad will it really get?
Granacki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-22-2010), malawigirl08 (01-15-2011), Zaphodbeeblebrox (01-10-2012)