View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 12:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The gene test results were the "kick in the pants" that I needed to try Tom GF. Based on symptoms, I was pretty sure he didn't have DQ2 or DQ8. He has two different versions of DQ1. We never tried submitting it to insurance. No doctor ordered the test, and I assumed insurance wouldn't pay. At some point, I'd like to test the rest of us. Mr. Kay doesn't want to be bothered, but I was thinking we might figure him out by the process of elimination.

I took Tom to a DAN! doctor (Defeat Autism Now!) two weeks ago, even though he's technically not autistic. We are now in the process of running food sensitivity and malabsorption tests among other tests, through the doctor. We are paying for these tests directly, and will submit the paperwork for reimbursement from the insurance. I'm not sure how much insurance will pay, but I know that this way (through a doctor, with diagnostic codes), they'll pay for some of it.

Not sure I answered any of your questions. I am curious about the girls, but the tests on Tom take priority. Gene results won't change a year from now. If you're curious and can swing the money, I'd go for it.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote