View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default i'm a young stroke survivor

i had a stroke at the age of 33 over 1 1/2 years ago in december 2005. i did everything right, called 911 and was hospitalized. i went through weird tests for everything under the sun. the docs then said that it's possibly ms or lupus. i was a medical mystery for many months until last october, after my 5th mri scan. by then, it was too late because i have brain damage. i'm fortunate to recover all of my faculties. the sad thing is that the stroke complicated my treatment-resistant depression that i already had since i was 20. i'm 35 now, and nowhere near the right treatment for my depression. i can hardly function because of my depression.

i know those "time lost is brain lost" commercials are important. anyone feel offended by this because of the time it took to come to a diagnosis? docs found nothing that could have caused it, so chalked it up to birth control pills. besides, i still feel like a medical mystery when all the tests i went through came out normal. i had a ct scan, mri scans, mrv and mra scans, a lumbar puncture, a trans-esophageal echocardiogram, a holter monitor for heart rhythm, immuno-assay, and tons of bloodwork. i was tested for diabetes and thyroid functioning. i went through so many tests, so i may not remember all of them, despite all the note-taking i do.

anyone have issues finding the right treatment for depression? it's ridiculous. my psychiatrist has given up on me. and he's a good one - an assistant professor! anyways, i had docs suggesting electroshock treatments (ect treatments). i'm like, "are you kidding me?! i already have brain damage and don't need more brain damage." so, do you know of anyone who had ect after having had strokes and how well it helped them? i just don't feel it's safe with my situation. i know about the memory loss issues, too. i did my research on my options. i just want to know if there's relief because i haven't found any since. my life has been pure purgatory since. if i can get my depression under control, i can handle things. all i want to do is to enjoy the simple things in life, as i'm unable to experience pleasure, joy, or excitement.

thanks to anyone who responds. many thanks.
wickedwings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote