Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi again davidsmom

Both my husband and son have TS, and yes, it is characterized by both motor and vocal tics, usually only being diagnosed when these have been present (characteristically waxing and waning) for at least a year

Very few docs will give a TS dx after just a few months of tics, as so many children can have transient tics that clear up on their own.

Also, tics can be a result of other issues eg strep/PANDAS, allergens, food reactivity, photosensitivity, toxicity etc and so sometimes, especially when there is no family history of tics and TS, these need to be considered as possibly being the underlying cause of the tics

here is an article at Latitudes on Finding Triggers for Tics

It may be helpful for you to keep a journal and document the tics, when you notice them, what foods, illnesses etc...........this can often help to fit the pieces of the puzzle.

I know many parents (me included) who have found that, whatever the root cause of the tics, maintaining as healthy a diet, free of artificial additives, and trying to also maintain the lowest stress possible, can be big strides in improving things.

hope this gives you some pointers
Cheri

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote