View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Wow...

How old is Chewie?

My experience with ingrown nails was this happened to us once when our cat from long ago was ill... she stopped grooming.

Recently I had an interesting change of course with our oldest (19) Sheba.
She was 18 lb, and not grooming and depressed, 3 yrs ago. The vet thought she was diabetic so we did a blood work, and she wasn't.

She seemed to "crave" something, so she ate alot of her kibble (we use Eukanuba). When given "light" form of Science Diet previously she just ate more and gained that weight. So I switched her to Iams Eukanuba a few years ago, but she was still big. By coincidence I gave her a treat on vacation of real frozen cooked shrimp. This is a long story, won't go into it. But I originally only did that when I pilled her as a reward. She began to demand it every day.
When I gave in and started to do this, she LOST WEIGHT. Spectacularly. Now her skin hangs and her lion belly almost hits the ground, and when she walks fast (can't run anymore with her arthritis), it swings and it I am sorry to say very comical. The shrimp satisfies her in some way, so she eats less now.
Her grooming improved 100%.

A friend here (I think it was KimS) posted this interesting article on shrimp from whole foods...

and I think that this food chart reveals that something Sheba needed was being provided by the shrimp. Now before you think this is $$$..spoiling.
I get the 50-60 size when the grocery offers buy one get one free, and they last me a long time. I only give her 3 or 4 when she begs for it. It is no more expensive than cat food.

So perhaps Chewie craves something? Each of our cats gets a special treat, and each of them only eats that...they don't share it. Our other cats won't touch the shrimp.

It is something to think about. If you go to my flickr account you can see Sheba begging on a picture there!

The vet was astounded...too. I called it at the time,the Atkins Meow Meow diet. LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote