View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 04:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Idealist... wish I could offer something helpful or hopefull......
I too have been dealing w/ what DR years ago called "situational" or reactive depression. my life changed from "normal" --going to work, doing things, having joy, etc. to one of chronic debililtating pain. --literally changed in seconds when I was hit by car, on my way to work place. Since life has revolved around Drs, med appts, and finding ways to compensate for what/how used to do things...

My life is very small & limited. People I thought were friends disappeared.... I don't have the energy to go out, socialize...
I lost my home & more, after the accident..... moved back to cold NE from tropics, to be w/ my parents, when my mother was terminally ill. My father had been her primary caregiver but when he got sicker & became non-ambulatory, I assumed that role. Despite my medical issues, I was the most able bodied in home. I had to put my stuff on the side to advocate & care for my beloved parents. It's not that I was suddenly in remission --just somehow Do when have to, or generated by love....
Since my mother's death last year, depression deepened. I was committed to keeping my father in his home, and still am but it's challenge.

about 8 months ago I had another head injury. that TBI was Dx: post concusssive syndrome. My pain disorders exacerbated and I was more dysfunctional than ever.
more problems emerged: constant severe headaches, sleep problems; cogntive, perceptual & "neuro-behavioral" . I became despondant, emotionally volitile, immered in suicidal thoughts ( but my father is reason I kept on & still muddle thru each day, hour, minute. I'm not able to do many things I was pre-TBI . ANything to do w/ numbers, money, business, bills is diastrous. As is most of the house work . Some things get done--like my father's basic needs, but most get put aside, w/hopes of doing later. I've had help off & on w/ caregivers but many problems.... I now have some help again, bt not on level needed or desired.

Sorry to ramble on.... and get off topic here... since your question was how to cope w/ depression....
I"ve tried most of the antidepressants & couldn't take...
there are other things I've tried & haven't found discipline or time, like focused breathing, meditation, yoga or similar body/mind therapys or exerices . Tai chi, chi qong, etc.... but hope to pull out those DVD & try again ...

one thing we (family) do is watch movies--drama, comedy, documentary, indies, foreign, some main stream... They provide a distraction or an escape for awhile-- into others lives, offer a different perscpective, cultural experience, history lessons, and more.... since our life/style limited, movies open & bring other worlds, realities to us; often inspirational & hopeful, many have life lessons...... we love movies ....

on a side note, RE: pain . as you probably know it can cause depression & other cognitive dysfunctions. I just got a DVD on Fibromyalgia that presents a unique way of viewing & treating symptoms & manifestations. Based on the dopamine theory of Dr. Woods, and dysfunctions in the brain esp. the hippocampus.
Will post & discuss this in more detail at FMS forum. Stress plays a big role.... even how this Dr views & address stress is unique..
but watching it now helped understand how stressors in my life are affecting my health by a form of brain damage , not only from TBi but also FM & other CNS issues...but more on this in other forum.

I hope you find ways to get thru your depression & pain, & ways to deal w/ stressors that either exacerbate or cause... find somethings, inc. Distractions, that will work for you...

Wishing u the Best....
pono is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote