View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hungering and Thirsting for Health

Before I start, thanks to Peg, Judith, Howard, and Birte for your contributions and to those who pushed the "thanks" button.

OK, Peg, good point, so let me talk about arthritis. By now everyone knows that I had a hip replacement, but maybe not everyone heard that by the time I had surgery I had no cartilage left in the joint and had ground down the bone enough that my orthopedic surgeon had to lengthen my leg with the joint prosthesis. He also said that the osteoarthritis had eaten away so much of the pelvis on that side that he almost didn't have enough bone to attach the cup of the prosthesis.

Now, I won't go on a rant about how many doctors, mainly my Primary (whom I fired after diagnosing myself from the internet), told me to exercise and never mind the pain. I guess they thought PWPs complain too much

Pain? Pain! I did not dance at my daughter's wedding. Before I got some help with pain management, I cried, I prayed, I prayed for death, and best of all, I hungered and thirsted for exercise. I longed with all my heart to be able to get to the bathroom without a wheelchair.

Today is a gorgeous day for a walk, and it's a quick drive to the therapy pool where I'm a member. I'm terribly busy preparing to teach a class and doing homework for one I'm taking and reviewing my notes from a meeting last night and planing dinner and organizing my beads and my yarn, but I'll do my exercise. I'm a convert.

I hope someone reading this decides to try a little exercise or at least work on their posture. If you can't walk, get a "Sit and Be Fit" tape, if they still sell them. Move your outstretched hands in circles. Try to reach your pelvis with your shoulder blades without bending backwards or forwards. If you can. Or maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.
Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote