View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Laila, there are some very good reasons for NOT worrying about getting a name to put on it all; the name will probably not be helpful, and will probably not lead to any useful treatment.

You have fibromyalgia, and you have migraine. People with migraine have lots of little spots on their MRIs, which are called increased areas of increased intensity. Used to be called UBOs, now are called WMLs. I have them. My rheumatologist has them. I've spent the last several weeks reading about them, and the causes are migraine or vasculitis. If you don't have vasculitis, it's migraines. Vasculitis would be obvious from the tests and exams you've had.

So, we have to live with these little spots, which do not seem to indicate harm.

Also, fibromyalgia which persists a long time is associated with neuropathy. So, you HAVE a cause for your symptoms, with or without abnormal nerve conductions or a skin biopsy. It's pretty common. It may be that areas of swelling and pressure from inflamed tendons and trigger points deny nerves good blood flow and nutrition. If you get the fibro under better control, I'd bet the neuro symptoms will improve.

That leaves the issue--how to get the fibro and muscular symptoms under better control? A rheumie ought to look for sero-negative arthritis like that of psoriasis. That often causes inflammation to tendons and lots of little problems thata feel like big ones. Also, your spine. You don't want arthritis pressing nerves and causing damage.

But what I recall is that the things that help fibro most are myofascial massage---deep work on all the trigger points, and aerobic exercise.

My guess is if you take all the supplements recommended for neuropathy, and hceck what's recommended for fibro, get exercise, and manual treatment on your hurting spots, that's your best shot at getting improvement.

Oh, you definitely do not have a picture looking like MS with findings of migraine of MRI. They are very different. I've just been through this chat with several doctors.

Also, not CIDP.

But if you read fibro boards, I'd bet LOTS of people look like you.

Oh, and the orthostatic hypotension---my cardiologist--yesterday---there's no reason to try to put a name on it, he tells me. It's not really a nerve disease. There's a continuum in how quickly and accurately people's autonomic nervous systems respond to the world's demands on it. Some are wired hard, and they get axiety and palpitations; some are slow, and they get dizzy and depressed and feel weak with changes in position. And it's just part of who you are.

So, I've been seeing a myriad of doctors, all saying to me what I am saying to you now---it's time to focus on healing, not getting validation with a name.

Hope this helps. I do think you can feel a whole lot better. Really.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote