View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We spend a lot of time on this forum trying to cheer everybody up, to put a positive spin on things, to be hopeful, to find everyday joy.

It works for me - to a point. There are times when the despair is too great to think my way out of. I never communicate with anyone during those times; why burden others? (I should)

cs' post came from that place. It is a place that needs to be acknowledged - I'm not sure advice to buck up is especially helpful. I am so grateful he put words to the pain he feels - that takes more courage than saying nothing at all.

I feel the pressure here to be positive; it generally is a good thing. But people in despair need someone to listen and understand. Just your indication of support shows there is light at the end of the tunnel. In the end, we mostly survive - doesn't mean we don't hit rock bottom more than once.

Sorry if I'm psycho-analyzing you out of line, cs - I'm actually projecting myself into your situation (of which I am all too familiar). I have no doubt that you understand you should be "positive" - but sometimes you find it impossible, and give into the sad reality. It's hard to "rise above" all of the time; sharing the bad times is just as valid as sharing the good.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote