View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can you "think" yourself well?

Back in the old days, a bunch of us found refuge in an online forum. In this particular archived thread a lot of people really got into this topic. Let me spark your intrest with a sampling of some posts, then go to the link to read it in its entireity. I'd like to hear your comments:

http://web.archive.org/web/200206150...ML/005166.html

Delmar I really don't have any wisdom to add but, I think of myself as a classic example of someone whose low self-esteem, depression and obsessive thinking has caused my condition to become much worse than it might have been, so this psychosomatic, mind/body stuff interests me.

jonathan2 WE know that we can "talk" ourselves into a good or bad mood and accordingly effect our feelings which trigger chemical responses in our system. Science acknowledges that we use a minor part of our brain so there is more capacity then we currently use. Over a long period of time we have let our selves be influenced by negative thoughts. If you do not agree with this statement, for one day critically listen to every word and thought and mark down the times a "negative" crops up. I can't I won't, it won't work, etc etc. Tally it up at the end of the day and then tell me we aren't negative.

Caring If I could convince my brain that it was never poisoned, I would be in pretty good shape. My brain knew I was poisoned before I did, yet the symptoms kept piling up despite my denial of it. So the mind over matter thing isn't necessarily a cure. Believe me, I told myself for a long time that I would get better, and that there was NO reason why I should be having all the problems I was. Unfortunately, in my case, mind over matter kept me from seeking help from a doctor earlier. I was determined to get better.

toyL569 NOTHING exists outside the consciousness WE presume lies in our head. Red is not red until your eye perceives a certain wavelength of light and then, a few milli-seconds later, notifies your brain. A smashed thumb is nevertheless a bloody mess--even if you're too drunk to notice that you have struck it dead-on. I have never considered my parkinsons disease to have a psychological origin. I have always thought of it as a physilogical problem. For whatever reason, my CNS is not producing enough dopamine.

Ron I think there is some truth in the idea that some of our woes are "in the mind." I often get absorbed in my computer, then log off and walk away. Suddenly, I will realise I have gone way past my meds time, and suddenly I can't walk!

pegleg From reading this report, it indicates that a �normal brain,� one that is not genetically inclined to be bipolar or schizophrenic, etc. (and even that may be affected!) CAN actually become diseased by an imbalance of certain chemicals in the body (such as too much adrenaline and acidity in the stomach from �worry� has been proven to cause ulcers). Thus, even the Surgeon General is now acknowledging that certain prolonged emotions not dealt with properly and for a prolonged time CAN manifest itself physically! Here I want to give some examples: stress (let�s say from being abused in childhood), or a feeling of helplessness (death of a spouse leaving the mate destitute and in deep financial trouble

digicam If anyone's interested, I am sure the "mind over matter" thing can have a great effect on our quality of life. After more than 6 years with PD, I still take no medication at all.... I have all the Parkinson related problems: but then,people on a cocktail of drugs have all the problems also !!
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote