View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I'm looking to gather information about degenerative disc disease. Searched via google and found some basic out of the book stuff.

I'd like to know more practicle ways of dealing with mild degenerative disc disease.

Thanks

PS no this isn't for me personally.
ZS, I think one of the reasons that the info. you're finding on the Net is generic or rudimentary is: It's impossible for anyone sharing the info. on a site to tailor it to everyone who will seek/read the info. . Without knowing if each reader is asymptomatic or symptomatic, with mild, moderate or severe progression, age, history, lifestyle, and a garden variety of other facts: The info. is pretty much kept to general statements.

Having interacted with you at the BT Computer/Tech and Feedback forums, I think we both know: The Net isn't a replacement for advice from a competent, licensed, medical professional .

Many doctors, these days, don't mind if a person has a friend or family member accompany to appointments. Because of the "take of your clothes" aspect of exams , though, the patient might want to wait for someone to join-in when the doc does the "let's talk about it" stuf.

Not everyone needs or wants someone to go along. Some people, however, prefer it, especially when it's a "new" or recent diagnosis and that, alone, for some is overwhelming. With more ears present, it increases the chances that even more will be retained during and following appointments - and, too, that more questions might be thought of and asked.

Practical suggestions for the person:

- Relax.
- Have family member or friend go to appointments if that could help.
- Don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry; I don't understand. Could you repeat that in layperson's terms?"
- Take notes. (Or, as I do, and my doctors don't mind, have the doctors make bullet point notes during the appointment(s) of things thought important or wanting to be remembered and possibly checked out and reviewed later.
- Ask the doctor for a treatment plan that is specific to the person and his/her condition.
- Find out if the doctor has "take-aways." For example, my neurosurgeon subscribes to a service and purchases a plethora of patient-centered, helpful information that he freely gives to patients. The material is also condition-specific.
- And, maybe most important: Get a second (even a third, fourth, etc.) opinion if surgery is suggested.
- Finally, be an assertive and an active participant in one's health care and treatment. If lifestyle changes are suggested, that's something that someone really needs to give serious thought, since someone doesn't want to sabatoge his/her own future health .

Those things all said, here are a few more links...

Lumbar DDD
http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...g/degen01.html

A Patient's Guide to Degenerative Disc Disease
http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c...g/degen01.html

Lumbar Disc Disease: Family Guide to Neuromedicine
http://www.muhealth.org/~neuromed/lumbardisc.shtml

It will be good when BT is back; there is such a wealth of information within the SD forum. By doing a "search," youre sure to discover so much more info. and ideas people have shared about DDD - and as it applies to the L & S spine levels.

I hope some of this has helped, ZS.

Last edited by Bobbi; 08-28-2006 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typos
Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote