View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Answers and more questions!

All your replies are much appreciated.

I will keep on eliminating the possibilities for this PN. I was wondering whether anyone has an exhaustive list of all the things that can cause small fibre neuropathy? I know that you keep reading over and over the common things for PN but I'm sure the list is a lot more comprehensive (see last paragraph of this message).

I guess the biggest shock for me during the consultation (one minute after I walked in there) was when the neuro said that my GP could look after me, I sat there stunned thinking "hang on, you are meant to be the expert, he isn't an expert on this stuff, that's why he sent me to a neuro (not her specifically), how's he going to know what to do next"?

Last night between being intermittently angry about it all I started to rationalise that she obviously didn't know where to go next.

Anyway I'll leave that alone.....

Glentaj - Regarding the fasting GTT the answer is no. As I said in one of my messages I have only had three random Blood Glucose levels done - not even a fasting one. They all say that my readings fit the guidelines - therefore not necessary to proceed with further testing ....but having read so many articles where they are saying that the oral GTT can reveal prediabetic states and sometimes blatant diabetes I will not rest there. I have an endocrinologist for another condition who I will be seeing next month. He will for sure, order me the GTT if I ask, so I'm not making an issue of it at the moment with my GP.

Yesterday I went to my GP to ask for the Active Vit B12 test, which I had done this morning. I'll see how that goes and if still borderline I'll go ahead and get the MMA done - which is not a standard test here in Australia - although there are a couple of labs that do it, although quite expensive.

Roxie - did you have ongoing pain at the site of the nerve biopsy? One study I read said that about a third of people who have the biopsy have persistent pain at the site.

Maybe someone can help me with this quote! I read in "Peripheral Neuropathy" a clinical review by Richard AC Hughes published in BMJ Vol 324 Feb 23 2002, he says, "Chronic Axonal Neuropathy occurs in patients with many multisystem hereditary disorders". He goes on to give one example - which is the only example I have come across consistently in the literature and that is Charcot-Marie Tooth disease but he doesn't mention any other examples nor does anyone else. If there are supposedly "many" hereditary disorders where Chronic Axonal Neuropathy occurs what are the others?? Anyone know?
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote