View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 04:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millymax View Post
First, hello to you all! And thank goodness I've found other people with hydrocephalus

I had a VP shunt fitted in 1993 after a subarrachnoid haemorrhage, and so far no revisions. Which is great.

BUT ... over the past 6 months or so I've had sore, tender areas along the track of the shunt tube, across my chest. Sometimes the sore patches are swollen, too.

First time this happened I was quietly panicking. My doctor sent me to see a lovely neurologist who didn't have a clue. Never heard about this before. Thought that it was probably local scarring that was getting inflamed. Just massage the areas, he said.

Well, the soreness went away.

And then it came back for a time. And again, and again.

There might be some connection with having infections like sore throats and sinusitis (which I get a lot).

Anyone had anything similar?
hi I have a shunt as well and I have had this problem it is an infection in the shunt and your doctor should have givin you antibiotics, although I was put into the hospital and given intravenous antibiotics and they also had to drain the fluid out of me, they had to take the tube out and it would drain out of my side, I don't want to scare you but that's what happened to me, I am having alot of problems with it again my headaches are back, take care Terry
TerryM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote