View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Tayla,

If you would take the time to learn about the immune response to trauma (IRT), you would know that both paper cuts and mosquito bites are trauma, and the immune response always involves ischemia: blockage of arterial blood flow.

It happens this way: White blood cells respond to the site of the trauma, where they release reactive molecules called oxygen free radicals (OFRs), OFRs are responsible for the inflammation and swelling that are obvious in injuries such as hitting your thumb with a hammer, but even if unnoticed, is present in the IRT to a paper cut.

Swelling compresses the tiny nearby arteries and veins that deliver blood to the capillaries and return "used" blood to the veins. This compression is ischemia.

IRI is a disorder that involves an IRT that doesn't end as it's supposed to; instead, the inflammation and swelling (ischemia) spreads over an increasingly widening area. The second stage of IRI is the blockage of arterial blood flow to the capillaries, which means that the cells no longer receive the O2 and Gl they need in order to function properly.

As I have said before, IRI is a complex series of events which I can't possibly explain in just a few hundred words. In fact, I haven't been able to explain IRI and OFRs in less than several thousand words. I am working on a briefer explanation, which would make it easier to understand, but necessarily means that I won't be able to provide all the information necessary to describe how all of this takes place.

If you are unwilling to accept this necessarily brief discussion of the IRT and IRI, I suggest you should learn for yourself what takes place. With your nursing education and experience, it should take you less time to learn than it took me...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :