View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry it took 2 hours and PAIN to type this: I need Dragon!

1.How was it right after surgery? Day of? The first couple days?
Right after was tolerable pain. more uncomfortable from the tubes, IV's and pain pumps insered in me! I was able to go to the bathroom right away, so no cathater! You will be D O P E Y. That's a good thing. You'll be weak too. that will slowly come back. But don't try to do things you shouldn't (ie: "oh I feel ok to go lift that book.") you may feel OK from the pain meds, but the tissues aren't ready for that yet.

2.What was it was like when you left the hospital?
Again, very dopey for weeks. Some Dr's don't adequately address pain, I'm sure your's will. But speak up if you hurt. I was on several heavy duty meds all at once, and it didn't kill me. Your body can't heal if it is dealing with pain. I needed help washing my hair and cooking and with all housework. (did I get that? NOOOO. a long story, ending in Divorce.) With my first resection I had lung problems when I left the hospital and had to return for 2 weeks! Pluracy and fever. But the 2nd resection went smoothly and had no adtl issues.

The more time pases after surgery, the more pain there may be, but that's from the muscles/nerves waking up and getting angry. It will subside and is managable with ice or a heating pad, as you see fit.

3.What was it like getting around?
No problem, just moved slowly. I carried nothing heavier than a pillow. You wont be able to drive for a couple months. You may find your center of gravity changed. Just watch that posture in a mirror and practice straight back, shoulders down, etc.

4.What did you need help with? ie. how steady were you, how well could you take care of yourself? Help going to the bathroom? Showering/bathing?
I needed help preparing meals, getting groceries, trips to checkups, laundry and vacuuming. (did I get that? NOOOO.) After maybe 2 weeks you should be able to handle washing your hair, in a modified way. Needed no help in the bathroom. I did need help cutting my meat which I found humiliating. You may need help dressing/tieing shoes.

5.Did you need help with the incision at all? Anyone just have incisions above and below the collarbone?
My incisions were in my arm pits, I needed no help with them. Couldn't shave there for several weeks tho!

6.How did you manage pain? Did you need ice a lot?
LOTS of ice (bags of frozen peas) and LOTS of heat, alternating and sometimes at the same time! This will mess with your bodies' thermostat - drove me nuts! But that too will subside. I took Oxycontin 20mg, Tizatidine 10mg, Valium 5mg and a sleeping pill. Suffice it to say I was trippin' for almost 2 months straight. Then I was able to feel well enough to taper off the meds. Have ample pillows and comfey blankets on hand. I was fortunate enough to have a hot tub too - that really helped.

7,8,9,10... all the same as above. It (time) will blend together.

11.two months post op? etc.?
minimal driving, minimal laundry, food prep, other tasks as you see fit. remember: YOU decide what you are ready to do, not your family.

12.How did you deal with meals, dishes, laundry, shopping? Did you use public transportation?
NO public transport (except cab) - too rough a ride and you cant afford to have someone bump into you!! Meals and dishes: you need help, or use your good arm and only let your bad arm 'assist' the other arm - NO weight bearing. Laundry was manageable, as i could lift a few items at a time and walk them to the machines (walking: good exercise and do-able). Folding: no problem. NO ironing!!! (hear that Victoria?)

13.How active were you, ie. walking around?
I walked whenever I could, but mostly around the house/yard. Great stress reliever! After month 2, I walked 1 mile daily. It's not how far you walk, it's how WELL you walk! Posture, posture, posture. Having a hooded jacket with pockets helped, I rested my arms there a lot.

14.What kind of tools did you use to make it easier for yourself? Any tips/suggestions?
Bags of frozen peas; lightweight/paper plates, cups, etc.; small sized containers (no gallons of milk or huge laundry soap jugs); someone to check on you every other day for a while.

Best of luck and keep us posted as the time draws near!
(((((hugs)))))
Anne
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SD38 (09-21-2011)