View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 12:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default rib pain

hi thunder92,
when my condition was much worse, i had muscle spasms in my back that were continuous and i would rate them as 8/10 when asked. i had diagnoses such as discogenic pain of the thoracic spine, myofascial pain of the erector spinae muscles, thoracic spondali(tis?), T4 Syndrome and more. these spasms would increase when i was asked to perform various arm movements. when i described to a musculo skeletal doctor, the consequences of the arm movements on the muscle spasms and the subsequent pain at my sternum, he alluded to the fact that if you place enough pressure on the ribs at the back there will be a consequence at the front. (this seemed perfectly logical)

the strategies that have been successful in releasing the muscles spasms and therefore the horrible rib twisting affects have been-
1) dry needling in the muscles which are in spasm (similar but not the same as accupunture)
2) chiropractic adjustments to my spine , after the thoracic spine has been hypomobile for a long period the spine needs to be loosened up.
3) hot wheat bag
4) drugs which allow normal diaphragmatic breathing
5) not using the affected arm which causes the muscle spasms
6) shoulder brace which holds the shoulder girdle in its correct position which will stop the compromise of nerves.

good luck towelhorse
towelhorse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote