View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 06:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My pup's in pain

I've got a real dilemma. My English springer spaniel, Chip (that's him in the avatar), has severe hip dysplasia. Despite medication (we've tried many over the past five years), he has started limping again, and today, we took him to the vet for an x-ray to see if things were deteriorating.

Poor thing. His right hip is now bone on bone, and his left is nearly there. He's nine years old.

The vet said he needs surgery, although she is deferring it to the doc who actually does the surgeries to see what he thinks. Problem is, I'm on disability and am about to be cut off from my LTD benefits. We can't afford this.

Anybody had a dog who went through any kind of hip dysplasia surgery? Did it help them significantly, improve their lifespan or at least quality of life?

Has anyone had to put their dog down because of hip dysplasia? Is it cruel to refuse surgery if it would be a severe financial hardship?

I don't know what to think. Chip is sleeping next to me right now, trusting me to do the right thing.

fanfaire