View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Bi-coastal

OMG! Tam,

That is unbelievable, as is the response of your physicians.

In my experience, I gained a lot of weight on Neurontin, so my Doc tried me on Topomax.

After about three days of anxiety and inability to sleep, I called my Doc and informed him that I was going back on Neurontin. That is the only RX that does not seem to interact with the other stuff I take.

I also tried Oxy and, not unlike you, found that it brought on horrible RSD attacks almost nightly. Again I announced that I would no longer take it.

There are a few other RX I have tried, (sorry...can't recall exactly which), but all were for pain relief. Some caused swelling in the legs and another caused extreme and sudden cramping in my calves.

After about three days to a week, I refuse to continue with anything that so obviously causes such side effects.

Fortuneately, I have never suffered from withdrawal symptoms, even on Morphine and other 'controlled substances'. I am just fortunate that way. My Docs are always surprised by that.

Yes, I am overweight, but my pain is controlled for the most part. My list of RX is long and includes muscle relaxors, Kadian (time release Morphine), Perkocet, anti-depressants..(KEY), and so on. I have many secondary diagnosis brought on by TOS.

I monitor my max allowed, by setting it out every evening for the following day. When I take may doses in the afternoon, I must take a nap. I cannot drive for a few hours, my speech is slurred for about an hour and I dare not go up and down stairs.

This is not how I would like to live, but I know things could be much worse. I still have my 'days', but it is tolerable for the most part.

Tamera, I hope your devastating issues are slowly, but surely resolved and that your quality of life is so much better than it has been for SO long. My heart goes out to you.

I think your post is good warning for us to listen to our bodies any time there is a change of meds. We are all different and the Doctors cannot possibly KNOW what our individual reactions may be. You MUST put your foot down within a SHORT period, of any adverse reactions, and always read the pharmacy literature.

The symptoms may not always be so obvious, but when they are, contact your prescribing physician and do not let him tell you otherwise!

Warmly,
Anne
Bi-Coastal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tshadow (01-14-2008)