View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Allen,
Thanks for this great article that truly shows the variance in opinion between one expert and another----Is it any wonder we are confused?
There are some things that are said that I find rather troubling, such as----
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"SOMATIZATION?
One of the biggest controversies in CRPS is the role of the mind. Some experts maintain that CRPS often has a psychogenic cause, such as depression. "Fifty percent of people with chronic pain are depressed," said Cruciani. It's unclear, however, whether depression is a cause or a consequence of the syndrome. Sociologic considerations also may play a role, especially if the patient has a financial incentive to be disabled.

By contrast, Robert J. Schwartzman, MD, chair of Neurology at Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, remarked that "it's never, ever psychiatric. When you have severe pain that totally wrecks your life, you're depressed."

Oaklander took a slightly different approach, pointing out that if the patient's chronic pain can be attributed to a psychogenic cause, the condition is not CRPS. She also cautioned neurologists not to attempt to make psychiatric diagnoses. She pointed out that the country's current disability system discourages patients from recovering. She echoed the idea that there might be economic reasons why patients maintain their disability. However, she said that she did not encounter malingering any more frequently among patients with CRPS than among patients with any other medical condition."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know we would be in denial to refuse to believe that there are SOME patients to whom the secondary gain of a chronic illness is a reality but I do not believe for one minute it is more than a miniscule percentage.
For me the suggestion that there may be economic reasons why patients maintain their disability is offensive in the extreme.
The fact that I have lost my 6 figure salary in return for a $400 a week WC allowance with which we are supposed to raise 6 children makes good economic sense doesn't it
I would challenge anyone who has gone through what most RSD patients have gone through on their RSD journey to NOT suffer some type of Reactive depression.
Opinons such as these just help to further demoralise us and isolate us from a society, some of whom may just believe this.

I'd also like to comment on this statement by Dr Oaklander

" Oaklander pointed out that bisphosphonates have not been tested for use in chronic CRPS."

Here in Australia we frequently use Pamidronate Infusions in an attempt to relieve the bone pain of RSD.
Is there anyone else who has had these?

Cheers everyone
Tayla