View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Vicc, I appreciate that you may just choose to ignore this and I respect your choice if you, do but in your post you said---

The fact that cyanosis isn’t mentioned in any diagnostic criteria of RSD means that the patient can’t even point at her/his purple skin and say “Of course it exists. Look at my arm”; the insurance empire lawyer can simply reply “Cyanosis isn’t mentioned in the RSD literature, so whatever is turning your arm purple can’t be part of RSD”. The patient/victim loses the case.
~~~~~
My question is-
Where is cyanosis denied as a possible sign of RSD/CRPS? Who is denying that many people (but not all) with RSD/CRPS have cyanosis?
Every description of possible signs and symptoms I can find mentions cyanotic looking skin (which of course we all know does not necessarily mean there is tissue damage)
Every one of the multitude of "insurance empire lawyers" I have had dealings with have never bothered to query my case citing that cyanosis isn't mentioned in RSD literature so therefore saying I don't have it!!

I would call myself somewhat of a chameleon as all of my RSD area have transient colour changes, cyanotic colouring being just one of them.
If I was to believe that the cyanotic colouring was an IRI then that would infer that I have had a period of ischaemia and the tissue has been damaged when the blood flow was returned to it.
Vicc, can you please explain why the areas of spread of my RSD that have transient cyanotic appearance have never had an ischaemia caused by a tourniquet or anything else.
I have had however, many periods of autonomic nervous system related vasoconstriction that lead to severe cyanosis but because this is transient then I have to believe there is no IRI.
I do have severe trophic changes to much of my skin, it is shiny, warm and oedematous in places and atrophied in others-----does this mean that my diagnosis of RSD is incorrect?

I have never been met with the sceptisism that you describe, perhaps I am just a lucky one but the "experts" here (the ones I have come in contact with over the years) seem aware that RSD/CRPS is indeed a variable with no two patients necessarily having the same signs and symptoms or aetiology.

I have said before that I know there is NO proof of the cause of this disease and without re posting all the previous abstracts and opinions from those doctors and scientists who do spend time researching this disease, the overwhelming opinion is that it is neurologically based----this being different to saying that there is a particular nerve injury in RSD/CRPS TYPE 1.
Vicc, I am more than happy to be swayed by an opinion or a hypothesis if I can see how and why it makes sense to me but with the huge variability between RSD patients, I just need a reason to believe that our cyanotic tendancies are anything but a sign of our very "confused" autonomic nervous system but at the same time agreeing that there maybe some people that have RSD that has been caused by an IRI.
Sincerely
Tayla