View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I need to go back for a moment.

Over 10 years ago we started with EFA supplements in this house.

We all took flax oil, evening primrose, and fish oil. Over time we adjusted things according to response.

One thing I noticed after a couple of years was the evening primrose wasn't needed anymore. Once we got going, and fixed the deficiency our own GLA was enough (we make this ourselves). I even found that once I accidently bought stronger primrose and it upset my GI tract considerably. So I stopped taking it and soon after my son and husband also.

Dr. Sears PHD who started attention to good fats had a GLA paper in 2 parts on his website at one time, that in his opinion one didn't need high doses of it.
Once you start to use it as a "drug" in very high doses like you are doing, it can drain or skew other parts of the system where it resides. Chemistry is like this...provide alot of substrate and you can PUSH to end results.
IMO B6 and magnesium are the two most critical parts to that EFA chemistry.
Both are needed to utilize fats properly. You can choose foods high in magnesium and not need to supplement. B6 is not that easy to do, and a supplement is necessary.

For example if after a few months, you do not see the improvement you are expecting.. one alternative would be to drop GLA and increase the fish oil.
(to say 3 or 4 a day). This would show if you are not improving inflammation with the GLA alone. I have always thought you need flax oil with GLA.. and that might be an addition that may help too. But then if you see what you wanted you may not need to make changes. It is just important to understand that any list for one person may not work the same in another.
You can get a gram of flax oil in one tablespoonful of Smart Balance peanut butter. If you like peanut butter and eat it anyway, it isn't an expense to switch brands. That is what I do. I have food sources now for many EFAs.
Omega 3 eggs, Smart Balance spread, and Smart Balance Mayo...all can serve like supplements now.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote