View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Interesting stuff. But I too think there is more than one kind of fibro. Mine was actually CAUSED by a reaction to an anti-depressant (chronic insomnia and uncontrollable muscle twitching that continues to this day).

Nevertheless, every time I see a new doc, they try to talk me into anti-depressants! And the last three rheumys I saw were convinced I'd be CURED if I just did 30 minutes of cardio-vascular exercise three times a week! I agree that exercise is important, but the most I can do is aquacise for people with arthritis, and I am told that's not good enough.

I am thinking that most of the research is on people with mild fibromyalgia from common causes such as motor vehicle accidents. That's a double edged sword: good because you get more predictable results in studies, but not so good for people who have multiple ailments and don't react predictably to a treatment. But if people with mild fibro could actually be cured or at least helped considerably, I'm all for that.

Dr. Clauw is good at what he does, and I'm glad real progress is being made in research. Where I live, the only clinical trial for fibromyalgia uses cognitive behavioral therapy and nothing else! I'm just tired of being told by docs that all fibro patients are lazy, won't ever do anything that hurts, and just need to get off their deconditioned butts and go jogging.

Any chance we can clone Dr. Clauw??

fanfaire
GmaSue (07-12-2009)