View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Ooo thanks for the idea...

but we have tried 3 types of yellow jacket attractor traps. They don't work.

I have used a electro-wand to stun them and then catch them in a net and brain them with a rock. This works sometimes.
But exposes ME...and this year I was not up to it.
http://www.shop.com/Lentek_Electroni...85380-p!.shtml

We didn't get many hornets this year until near the end.

I am very allergic..so I have to be in the mood to zapp them and crush them.

The place we had the feeder this year was in a stand of evergreens and very
protected. I did go out twice with a bug killer, and fog them away from the
bird area, since they were near the ground and attracted to the drips that fell.

The last stinging event I had was pretty scary, so I didn't feel up to it this season. And in the end (there are 4 ports on the feeder), this distraction did allow me to get some photos, which I might not have gotten otherwise.

As it was, it was a trial of patience to get the few photos I did. I guess to be really good, I should construct a "blind" of sorts...but we are not that organized! LOL

We used to put up a "fly" jar... this is a borate solution with meat scraps, and it used to get flies like you wouldn't believe. But then the BEAR started coming attracted by the stench...so we stopped the "fly" jar, 3 years ago, and no bear since. You can't imagine (or maybe you can!) a large mayo jar filled with throbbing flies...it was so GROSS, it created many arguments as to WHO would clean it/empty it for next season! LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote