View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Roz,

Thanks for those links
Isoflurane is being fazed out in most OR as an anaesthetic drug. There are many more better drugs used now but having said that the chance of having some cognitive deficit caused by it's use is fortunately slim.
I guess the question to be asked here is whether we are willing to take the risk of a drug (as almost any drug has possible side effects) in the search for something that will make our lives just a little more pleasant.
There would be far more risk of anaesthetic drugs causing problems in someone who has had to have repeated and long anaesthetics for whatever reasons, I am quite relaxed that any anaesthetic I have will probably not make my situation worse but it might just make it better.
I smiled when you wrote about Anaesthetists making moneyThey sure are the ones with the biggest bill but to be fair to them they do have enormous liabilty insurance costs and they are almost the most important person at any operation----they literally are the ones who breath for you and otherwise keep you alive.

As for the Ketamine link you will notice there was no damage in the shorter duration anaesthetics. Perhaps that maybe one reason the FDA will not approve the coma treatmant.
We have used Ketamine in anaesthetics for as many years as I can remember and I have had it for a decade and will confidantly say it has only ever made me feel better and there has been no negative sequalae.

I maybe more relaxed than many as I have seen first hand how well we are looked after whilst anaesthetised and how few problems there really are but I certainly respect that others may have a totally different opinions.
Hoping you are well
Cheers Tayla
tayla4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote